The aim of this school is to educate, elevate and entertain through the universal language of dance, Bharata Natyam. Students entering the school are taught basic body movements, Hindu mythology, Indian classical music, Indian Language. The aim is to create a performing artiste out of every student who joins the school. This entails not only learning body movements but also the techniques of stage craft, developing a stage personality and self confidence and ultimately becoming a dance persona.
Our classical arts have a sacred element and so there are expectations in learning a classical art. Successful students have demonstrated the following and reached graduation called Arangetram.
- Families are expected to come with an open mind to classical Indian dance.
- Families are expected to treat dance as a serious form of education which must come second in their list of priorities, school being the first.
- Families are expected to be able to meet the financial obligations that dance requires.
- Families are expected to get involved in their child’s activities.
- Families are expected to show support to the school and attend all of the school’s functions.
- A deep and abiding devotion to Hindu Philosophy, religion and respect for the classical arts and tradition is required.
- Commitment, hard-work and dedication are required.
Dance education is an investment in the classical arts.
Age: Minimum age for enrollment should be 5 years or more.
1. School will be in session for four terms:
Fall term from Sept to December.
Winter term from January to March.
Spring term from April to June.
Summer Workshop July.
- School will be closed in August and will reopen the weekend after Labor day.
- Additional events and concerts will be held in August.
2. School Holidays.
School is closed on all major U.S. holidays.
New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
There is a Winter Break from December 20th to Jan 5th.
- There will be one class per week.
- Students can be placed in kindergarten, Junior, Intermediate, Senior, and advanced levels.
- Classes are available in groups, semi-private and private formats.
- Classes will be taught by Dr. Malini Krishnamurthi and her students. Natyanjali follows the “big sister” or “Akka” or “Didi” system of teaching and learning.
- In general, missed classes cannot be made up. However, one makeup class per term is allowed, and it cannot be accumulated over terms.
- A hybrid of In-person and online classes is also available for all levels and makeup classes.
- If instructors miss classes, they will be rescheduled and you will get sufficient notice.
- Parents are encouraged to drop off their children and pick them up after class.
- Class visits are allowed only upon request.
- If you anticipate an extended absence please let me know so that we can make some alternate arrangements for your classes.
- Fees are due and payable in full at the beginning of the term regardless of the number of classes attending.
- Term fees cannot be refunded.
- Fees can be paid via Zelle or personal check.
- There is an annual registration fee of $60 for all classes.
- 1. An online portal is available to watch video lessons for weekly practice at WWW.Leapingfeet.com and will be available after you complete your registration.
The Natyashastra which is a comprehensive body of knowledge on dance prescribes a format for learning dance called the “Margam” and this school follows that format.
The margam consists of learning steps, which are the alphabets of dance. This then leads to Allaripu, which incorporates steps into a simple dance and then this is followed by Jatiswaram, which incorporates more complex dance units. Sabdam, incorporates facial expression. Varnam, incorporates more complex dance units and facial expression. Padams incorporate facial expression and dramatic elements and Thillana is a display of interesting dance units and footwork.
- Students should follow a dress code. Fitted Chudidhar or salwar kameez or tights or leggings and a long dupatta are suitable. Hair should be combed away from the face and there should be a bindi on the face.
- Dussera puja will be observed in October and student performance will be arranged. All are expected to attend with friends and family. Admission is free.
- Besides the Dussera performance other performances will be arranged in local venues and at community events and students are expected to participate and have full dance costume. Participation in these events are free.
- Costume and jewelry and accessories must be purchased from me and must meet my approval.
- All student recitals must meet my approval and additional lessons may be required before students perform outside.
Please contact Dr. Malini Krishnamurthi to discuss and sign up for a current class offering suitable for you at Leapingfeet@gmail.com or call 626-322-7092